Friday, March 07, 2008

End of an era

They closed down Appu Ghar on 17th Feb 2008. I know their logic holds good - an amusement park from the pre liberalization era had become too obsolete in today's ultra modern- european themed parks.
But for people like me who grew up in the 90's, Appu Ghar held an iconic place. As kids we used to discuss its handful of rides. And mind you, I grew up in Ahmedabad, hundreds of miles away from the capital. Whenever somebody came back from a visit to Delhi, we usually serenaded her/him with requests for narrating the experiences. So much so that we could practically count and recount the rides without having visited Appu Ghar even once.

I finally did get a chance to visit it when I was about 12. It was every bit as promised. I still have fond memories of the bhoot bangla and the small clay modelling toy that mom would not buy for me.


What was once a heaven for kids( and for grown ups too i presume. Who doesnt like to have fun?) would now give way for the metro project. And an extention of the supreme court's premesis. But Appu Ghar will live in our memories.

Forever.

1 comment:

STALAG SUKHOI said...

still remember my younger days in the Appu ghar,those were the days